Monday, 15 December 2014

Thoughts On Girl Online | Abi Street

Ok, so it's currently 21 minutes past midnight and although I am writing this with no intention to post it until tomorrow (I need to get in the habit of a schedule), I need I write this while it's still fresh in my mind.

I came home this weekend to spend with my family and best friend! Today (Sunday) I have had the nicest day with my family, which ended by me curling up on the sofa, finally getting a chance to read Girl Online (by Zoella, if you didn't already know).

And honestly, I know her book seems to be such a controversial subject, but I love it!!!! I can completely understand why everyone is complaining because they feel she wasn't truthful about there being a ghostwriter etc... But c'mon, if you have always wanted to write a book, and a huge publishing company approached you asking if you wanted to make this dream come true, would you honestly turn down this opportunity? No, no one would. I can imagine writing a book isn't easy, so of course she got help with it, along with many other authors... Yes, it may not seem right that Zoe didn't state the fact that the book was ghost written, but if you were caught up in a whirlwind of success would you?

I honestly got completely lost in Girl Online, to the point where I finished it in 5 hours only putting it down once to 1) go to the toilet and 2) drink a cup of tea.

I'm not going to give anything away about the book incase you haven't read it and are planning to, but it is such a light hearted, easy read. If you are a fan of Zoe, you will completely see her personality shine through. I have been watching for years now and even if her name wasn't on the front of that book, I would have guessed it was, shall we say created, by her.

It honestly saddens me that Zoe is getting so much hate from this. She is so young and has developed through her blog and YouTube channel so much. Although everyone is focusing on the negatives of this, it is encourages young girls to read, which is something that doesn't happen so often when everyone is caught up in the online world, also that her book has some great tips on how to deal with things such as panic attacks, anxiety, friendships and boys! (Really trying not to give too much away here!). I just feel there is no need for so much negativity over this, when 1) it isn't the first time a book has been ghostwritten, 2) there is so many positive aspects of this book!!

What do you think of the whole Girl Online ghostwritten situation? Let me know in the comments, I would love to hear your opinions (good or bad)

Thanks For Reading,
Love Abi x

11 comments:

  1. I have only really been seeing the whole thing in a negative way (maybe biased because there are many reasons that I don't lie Zoe - I won't bore you with them aha!), but you have some really good positive points about the book that I really like - that it encourages young girls to read and that it gives them really good advice. True!

    I just hate the fact that she lied about not writing the book herself. I don't agree with ghostwriting anyway. I basically believe that if you didn't actually write the book, your not the author. And the ghostwriters name should be on the cover also. I don't like it when credit is not given to the ghostwriter in any case, and Zoe is no exception when she directly deceived her fans - I don't think there's any excuse and I think it was done intentionally. I mean, Katie Price makes a song and dance out of the fact that her books are ghostwritten!

    That's just my opinion anyways, but I do like your positive points on the whole thing!

    The Velvet Black // UK Style & Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to hear your reasons for why you don't like her! I'm glad you like the points I have made. I can completely understand why people are angry about it and don't like the fact she lied.

      I feel like she should of stated the actual author, but from reading the book you are able to see it is her story, the ghostwriter definately should I had some credit!

      I completely respect your opinion, and I did want to hear what people thought of it! Xx

      Delete
  2. I'm not a huge fan but my sister is a massive fan...ill definitely be giving this to her for Christmas. Thanks:)

    Thepinkhangerfashion.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's fair! How come you aren't a fan of her? I'm sure your sister will love the book!! It's a great book for young adults xx

      Delete
  3. I think the problem some people have with it isn't necessarily the ghost writing, it's the way she lightheartedly deals with anxiety. I've not read the book and I'm not really a Zoella follower but good on her I say, she's only doing what any celebrity would do. I think some bloggers just have sour grapes because she's written a book and they haven't been asked!!

    Kay xx
    Idreamofcoco.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the book there are some really great tips for dealing with anxiety that are encorporated within the story, meaning young girls may be able to relate to it!

      Yeah definately, she has just taken a wonderful opportunity that was given to her xx

      Delete
  4. I'm a massive fan of Zoe and she's probably one of the main reasons that I started blogging. I feel really bad for all the abuse that she's getting for this book. Of course Zoe was going to get a bit of help from the publishers and yes maybe she should have said that it would be ghost written but I honestly can't say I'd blame her because I'd do the same if one of my dreams was offered to me.

    Natalie Ann xo // Petal Poppet Blogs ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad somebody likes her haha!! Yeah I completely agree with you, I don't think she should be getting all the abuse she did get for it. I know why people are annoyed and I understand, but I feel like some of the comments on her video's that she has been receiving, may be just that little bit too far. I think she just took the opportunity that was given to her, but maybe didn't think about it as much as she should have!! xx

      Delete
    2. Exactly :) I think you can tell from her videos etc that she's a genuinely lovely person. Poor Zoe :( xo

      Delete
  5. I finished this book in few hours too. Honestly, in my opinion, Girl Online can easily compete with other such teenage romans! Characters, the plot and every single letter in it are simply great. Personally, I'm not very emotional or sentimental person, but I have felt all the emotions Zoe wanted her readers to experience. When Penny laught, I laught, when she fell in love, I liked Noah too, when panic attacks got her, I felt anxious as well with no actual reasons.

    However, I kinda agree with the first comment. Zoe lied to her fans. I don't really care if book is ghostwritten or not(because I know as true fan how she wanted to write a book!), however why don't she make blogpost or video message to all the viewers and readers? Why does Zoe behave as if nothing happened? There are lots of people who love and support her and I think she needs to concentrate only on them! If she wants to take a break or something, we will understand, won't we?

    Simple words and message would change this situation to better, I reckon.

    Anyway, I agree with your thoughts. Great post! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, i agree with you, its such a great book and really competes with other teenage books on the market. The same as you, i was laughing throughout the book, also surprised when certain things happened and i felt really connected to the characters.

      I completely agree with what you're saying. I feel like her fans would of appriciated her a lot more if she did admit it was ghostwritten. But from reading the story, you do see Zoe's personality reflect throughout the book.

      Thank you lovely, it was great to hear your thoughts xx

      Delete

I appreciate every comment left. Thank you so much for reading x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
CUSTOM BLOG DESIGN BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS